Baskets

Find more Frugal Friday tips here: Life as Mom
FrugalFriday

Thrift Store ideas ~ Baskets

2009_0314(008)

I found the above basket at Goodwill for $4. It is huge, about 2' x 3'! It fits on the edge of my fireplace filled with extra throw blankets and a pillow. Of course it has to be moved if we have a fire going in the fireplace, but that's ok.

This is not really a before & after, just an idea or suggestion. Thrift stores are the best place to find baskets. Baskets are those classic things that never go out of style. Sure, there are some styles that are dated, but mostly they are are simple. Here are a few of my ideas for baskets:

~ Use them as flower pots, this is especially great if you are carrying the plants inside/outside. And if you have "critters" that knock them over, they won't break.
~ Use them for organizing anything: office supplies, craft supplies, etc.
~ We have an emergency "power outage" basket in our closet full of things like flashlights, batteries, lighters, matches, candles, and our battery operated portable DVD player.
~ We have a basket on the top shelf of our coat closet full of scarves and mittens.
~ Make a grouping of baskets coordinate for a desktop or such, by spray painting them all the same color.
~ Roll up some bath towels in a basket for over night guests.
~ Use a basket instead of a gift bag or gift wrap.
~ In the summer time we set a small basket on our porch with bug spray and sunscreen for convenience.
~ Use a basket in the kitchen to hold a stack of cookbooks.
~ Use a basket at your bedside for night-time reads like magazines, mail, or books.

The possibilities are endless. Let me know what you use baskets for. And when you see a nice basket at the thrift store, buy it! You'll find a use for it, trust me.


Also, here are a couple of printable coupon likes I have received from friends this week:

Kashi printable coupons

SoBe lifewater coupons

Be sure to check out my VBS Mondays, Slow Cooker Thursdays, and Frugal Fridays!
far3
*+*+*+* Matt 10:39, 40 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it. He that receiveth you receiveth me, and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

3 comments:

Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage said...

Great tip! Just this morning, I dug a basket out of my stash to put my coffee, creamer & filters into. This way I can put them on our open shelves, but it still looks neat.

Looking at it now, I think it might need a coat of paint!

Your Frugal Friend, Niki said...

Great post!I am a basketlover and have them ALL over my house!

:)

Mom2fur said...

Oh, my gosh, your power outage basket is a great idea! You know what else you should put in there? A few hand-held, battery-operated fans. You know how uncomfortable it gets when the power goes out in July and you lose your a/c!